Abengoa selected by the South African Department of Energy to develop two thermal power projects


Artistic Rendering PS50 plant, tower overheated.
Artistic Rendering 

A plant of 100 MW parabolic trough technology and a 50 MW solar tower, one of the world’s largest of its kind.
Plants bring important economic and social benefits to the Northern Cape region, and secure a clean energy source.

Sevilla, Spain, December 7, 2011 .- Abengoa (MCE: ABG), an international company that applies innovative technology solutions for sustainable development in the energy and the environment, has been selected by the South African Department of Energy to develop first two CSP projects in the country. These two projects are part of the South African government’s plan to meet the target of 17,800 MW to obtain renewable energy by 2030 and reduce its dependence on oil and natural gas.

The announcement, made public at the United Nations Conference on Climate Change (COP 17) held in Durban, including Khi Solar One plant, 50 MW from tower technology, and KaXu Solar One, 100 MW trough technology as unique parabolic solar thermal projects. South Africa is one of the best areas in the world solar radiation, which is an excellent opportunity to become a leader in solar power generation.

Both Abengoa solar thermal projects not only provide a cleaner energy future for South Africa, but also boost economic development in the region. Abengoa will own 51% of the projects and the remaining 49% will be state-owned Industrial Development Corporation (IDC). IDC is the financial development institution of Africa’s largest, and has contributed to the development of the industry necessary for the country’s economic growth.

Manuel Sanchez Ortega, CEO of Abengoa said that “the award of these two new projects is the demonstration of continuing technological advances that solar technology is continuously reaching result of investments in innovation and technology sector in general and Abengoa in particular, we are doing. The thermal energy is set to become the undisputed star of the XXI century in energy, is clean, manageable, storable and renewable. Spain has a unique opportunity to lead a highly innovative industry, creating employment and export capacity, and at Abengoa will continue to work tirelessly to ensure that our country does not lose this opportunity. “

Khi Solar One (50 MW) will be the third commercial plant tower technology Abengoa, and the first outside Spain. This plant, with two hours of storage, represents a major technological advance in efficiency by using higher temperatures in the process and be rated at two and half times greater than the last tower built by Abengoa in Andalusia, all the result of new superheated steam generation technology developed by Abengoa in R & D. It will be a dry cooling plant and therefore with a water consumption is reduced by 80%. The floor of the tower will be built in an area of ​​600 hectares, near Upington, also in the Northern Cape province.During construction, will create some 600 jobs and 35 more during the operation and maintenance of the plant.

KaXu Solar One solar power plant of 100 MW of parabolic trough will have a storage capacity of 3 hours, and will occupy an area of ​​1,100 hectares, near the city of Pofadder, north of the province of Northern Cape. During its construction will create around 800 jobs and about 35 permanent positions for future operation and maintenance. It will also create about 200 jobs directly and indirectly, in the local community. This plant represents a major technological breakthrough by using dry cooling as well.

The two solar plants by Abengoa, which use the newer, more efficient solar technology will be an important part of future growth of renewable energy in South Africa, starting with the 1416 MW awarded in this contest. The two plants are a manageable energy source that will allow the deployment of more intermittent renewable sources like wind and photovoltaics.

Both projects will involve a joint investment of approximately one billion Euros.

Abengoa currently has a total of 393 MW in operation and 1,010 MW under construction and is the only company worldwide that builds and operates thermal plants of both tower technology, as parabolic. The start of construction of two CSP projects in South Africa is expected in the second half of 2012, ending in 2014.

About Abengoa

Abengoa (MCE: ABG) is an international company that applies innovative technology solutions for sustainable development in energy and environment sectors, generating electricity from the sun, producing biofuels, desalinating sea water or industrial waste recycling. (www.abengoa.com )

Enhanced by Zemanta