The SAAEA is currently doing research on the availability, sustainability, characteristics, logistics and costs of wood based biomass in the Republic of South Africa and its neighboring countries for firing or co-firing in Eskom’s coal fired power stations.
– Which wood based (e.g. wood chips, wood pellets) biomass fuel are available in South Africa and its neighbouring countries?
– Who are the potential suppliers of wood based biomass fuel in South Africa and neighbouring countries?
– What is the total available tonnage, quality and reliability of supply of wood based biomass fuel in South Africa?
– What could be the contribution to the supply of wood based biomass fuel to South Africa from neighbouring countries?
– What is the environmental sustainability of this fuel?
– What quality control processes will have to be implemented to ensure consistent product quality?
– What is the nature and capacity of the existing infrastructure for transport of wood based biomass fuel from forestry to processing industries and finally to power stations?
– What are the expected costs for wood based biomass fuel at the stations gate?
– What is the existing and proposed regulatory framework for supply of this type of fuel?