We’d like to inform you that IRENA held the official inauguration of its permanent headquarters yesterday. The event celebrated the history and achievements of the agency since its foundation in 2009, while recognizing the move as the latest milestone in the global clean energy movement.
The IRENA headquarters building is the first in the UAE to achieve a four-pearl Estidama construction rating – a UAE-certification system stressing energy, water and carbon efficiency. Located at the geographic centre of sustainable Masdar City, the 32,000 square metre complex consists of three interconnected buildings, which work together to conserve energy and water, and create shared space.
The new IRENA headquarters enables IRENA to lead by example in operating from a building that is a symbol of sustainable design and development.
* Due to passive design and smart energy management systems, the building demands 42% less energy than global energy-efficiency standards.
* Solar water heaters supply 75% of the building’s hot water demand.
* The building demands approximately 50% less water than similar conventional office buildings in Abu Dhabi.
* The 1,000 m2 PV rooftop system will produce 305,000 kWh of electricity annually. In addition, the solar hot water system will be equivalent to 27,850 kWh. Altogether, the renewable energy systems output of the building will cover more than 10% of the building energy demand.
* The building is twice as airtight as Estidama requires, reducing the site’s overall energy consumption.
* The building’s air conditioning system recovers 75% of the energy released as exhaust air, and
Building images: https://www.flickr.com/photos/